Tor, Privoxy and GMail

I'm having problems connecting to GMail using the combination of Tor
and Privoxy and a 56K dialup connection. Every so often I would also
get an alert from my browser that GMail could not be found. The only
change I did to the default Debian settings for Tor and Privoxy is the
one mentioned in the Tor docs, that is, appending the following line
to /etc/privoxy/config:

forward-socks4a / localhost:9050 .

I set my browser (presently, Mozilla kitchensink) to use
"localhost:8118" as both HTTP and SSL proxy and for good measure set
the socks4 host to localhost:9050 (could this be a problem?).

Are Tor (as client) and Privoxy actually usable on a dialup
connection? I have the impression that the combination chokes on
connections that require relatively high bandwidth (as seems to be the
case with GMail's javascript hacks). I otherwise have no problems
connecting to non-heavily javascripted text-oriented sites like
debian.org and gnu.org

Also, in my apt-cache search I see a package for anon-proxy, and I'm
wondering if I could get better performance from the program.