Re: OT: Mirroring via disk image file

On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 04:08:08PM -0500, Marty wrote:
> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
>
> >If the drives are *exactly* identical, you can move your old drive to be
> >the slave on the secondary ide channel, which makes it hdd.  Then place
> >the new drive on hda.  Boot Knoppix, or another suitable live CD distro,
> >and then do this:
> >
> >dd if=/dev/hdd of=/dev/hda
>
> That's equivalent my cp example and it doesn't solve the problem.  I want
> (and need) to use an intermediate image file.

Boot Knoppix - tar up the partitions on the disk, preserving
permissions.

Create the file system spaces on the new disk.  Untar the tarred-up
partitions, preserving permissions. Re-run lilo or grub.

Identical drives means - exactly identical down to C,H,S sizes if you
want to be sure to use a dd

Alternatively, look at a cpio / tar solution. Bear in mind that an
intermediate 80GB file is going to have to be stored somewhere if
you're doing this with 80GB drives and you want to preserve the
intermediate step.

HTH,

Andy