Re: Desktop Crashes

On 10/29/05, debian@lamie.net <debian@lamie.net> wrote:
> Thanx for the suggestion.I ran the memory test which ran fice times over
> with no errors and passed all five times.

You are welcome.
Please keep your technical replay's list public :)

> I don't know how to test the cpu or MB. Is there a similar package which
> performs these checks?

I am unfamiliar with MB or CPU specific test software.
OTOH, to test your hard drive, you could use the s.m.a.r.t technology.
Use this excellent LJ article as reference :
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6983

In short :
# > apt-get install smartmontools
# > smartctl -s on /dev/hd[DRIVE]

# to launch a full harddrive test do
# > smartctl -t long /dev/hd[DRIVE] -l error

# for quick test do
# > smartctl -t short /dev/hd[DRIVE] && smartctl -A /dev/hd[DRIVE] | less

HTH

--
Cheers,
Maxim Vexler (hq4ever).