Re: Portable way to get my NICs' IPs

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 01:52:59AM +0200, Almut Behrens wrote:
> Sorry to disappoint you, but if you want to write something portable,
> you've chosen the wrong task :)

Hi Almut,

Thanks very much for providing so much information. It was
enormously informative.

I'm baffled that this isn't a portable task. What I'd assume
is that every machine knows its interfaces through some
simple system call. I open a socket to a remote machine, and
that socket binds to a particular interface, right? How does
the socket decide what to bind to? Presumably the socket
libraries are fairly portable, right?

I know very little about programming at that level, so I'll
have to consult Stevens. I just find the lack of portability
here rather bizarre.

Thanks again for your help. I'll dig through the books and
links that you referenced.

Cheers,
Steve

--