Re: Wireless access suddenly broken

On 28 Oct 2005, David Goodenough wrote:
> On Friday 28 October 2005 13:44, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > Ln 28 Oct 2005, David Goodenough wrote:

> > > Well one thing that has changed in the last few days is the wireless
> > > support libraries.  So that might be worth backing out as it might be
> > > at odds with the level of Wireless Extensions in the driver you are
> > > using.
> > >
> > > You have still not told us the make of card, or the driver you are
> > > using.
> > >
> > > David
> >
> > I did say it is a Cisco Aironet 340. The driver is airo_cs.
> >
> > Which libraries? Wireless-tools? Not sure what to do in that case.
> >
> > Anthony
> >
> > --
> > Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
> > Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian
> > http://www.acampbell.org.uk (blog, book reviews,
> > on-line books and sceptical articles)
> There are two things you should looks at.  Firstly what version
> of libiw (dpkg -l "libiw*") are you running, and secondly
> wireless-tools.  If they are recent versions and were upgraded
> (do you keep your apt-get changelogs?) just before things stopped
> working, try reinstalling the next oldest version (look in
> /var/cache/apt/archives unless you have run apt-get clean
> or autoclean recently in which case you have lost the old versions).
>
> David

Wireless-tools is 27+28pre10-1. This is the same as in the cache.

libiw27-28pre10-1 - perhaps this is the problem?  It does not seem to be
installed. dpkg -s shows that libiw27 is "purge".

It is present in the cache but running dpkg -i on this did not alter the
situation; it still appears as purged. libiw-dev is also not there.

According to the log, wireless-tools and libiw were both upgraded on 19
October. The connection was certainly working after that.

I'm beginning to think about reinstalling, since I have enough spare
space on the disk so I would not have to delete anything. But it still
seems like overkill.

Anthony