Re: Easy Debian Wireless 101

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 10:31:12AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>     Be that as it may I want to throw a wireless card into my
> router/server box.  Does anyone have any recommendations for the
> simplest card to get working with Debian?  I mean the ideal would be
> drop the card in, tell iprename(?) what the new card should be,
> install a package or two and away I go.

Basically it boils down entirely to the chipset on the card you buy.  I
have a linksys WPC11 v4 which uses the rtl8180 chipset. There are binary
drivers available from realtek for this chipset but I use third party
experimental and 100% GPL ones:
<http://rtl8180-sa2400.sourceforge.net/>. They work, although I haven't
got them building for newer kernels and things are far from
straightforward. Also I haven't sussed kismet yet.

IIWY, I'd buy a chipset directly supported by either the madwifi stuff
<http://madwifi.org> (atheros) or the linux-wlan project
<http://www.linux-wlan.org/>. I'd avoid binary only  drivers or
ndiswrapper based solutions. What you buy is effectively a vote for open
devices.

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/