Re: glxinfo, xorg in sarge claiming to not support certain visuals

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 07:02:19 -0200
Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> wrote:

> Just as a data point, I'm also seeing the problem.

Oh well :(. Are you on Xorg or xfree86?

> My video card is a Matrox Millennium G400 (also not dualhead), with my
> system running testing (etch) and with an Asus A7V mobo with a Duron
> 1.1GHz.

I'm on sarge with roughly similar hardware (athlon in my case). One
thing - are you using the stock kernel or have you compiled your own? I
currently have a 2.6.13 kernel I am running (compiled it myself) using
the various mga stuff compiled in rather than as modules. I don't know
if this makes a difference but in my situation it makes for better 3d
on the Matrox card. 2.6.8-2 had troubles - mostly because of missing or
unresolved symbols in some of the Matrox module objects.

Still, I am tracking security updates just now, and am not yet
upgrading to etch. On another note, I booted up the latest simply mepis
and it runs 3d with dri enabled and no issues. And it of course is
fast, especially with things like stellarium.

But 3d worked with this kernel just fine prior to the upgrade. I have
tried both stock xfree86 - and then xorg, which works well, but then I
tried xfree86 xserver again. I've since gone back to xorg because many
of the development bits are now xorg and I can't easily mix and match
them without some serious breakage in development files, but that's
another problem.

What version are you using for xlibmesa-dri? That would seem to be the
package that handles the matrox dri stuff. But there's no indication I
can yet find how it determines that such and such a visual is slow, and
if so,  how can I avoid that without having to go into the application
and reconfigure something.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.