Re: printing a certain .ps causes usb kernel errors

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 10:30:29PM -0400, David Morse wrote:

<description of how to crash a Postscript printer deleted>

I don't see why you think this is a problem with the kernel.  You generated
bad Postscript, you sent bad Postscript to an unsuspecting printer, that
printer crashed.  It stopped communicating with the rest of the world, and
the kernel is trying to tell you that.

A really high-end printer will have a watchdog that restarts the event loop
if you manage to crash it.  Others... don't.

Now.  Mozilla/Firefox are renowned for the lousy Postscript they produce.
Usually the printer survives... in your case, not so much.

You can either stop generating the Postscript with Firefox, or you can
massage the Postscript before you send it to the printer.  Try taking the
.ps file and running it through ps2ps.  I imagine it won't crash the
printer any more.

--
 Marc Wilson |     Beware of low-flying butterflies.
 msw@cox.net |