Re: DHCP lease being renewed every 30 seconds!

* Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com> [2005 Oct 26 16:53 -0500]:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running Debian GNU/Linux on an i686 platform.  I've recently
> reinstalled from scratch and have since noticed that my DHCP lease
> (correct terminology?) is being renewed every 30 seconds, causing the
> following three lines to be written to my syslog every 30 seconds.
> This was never the case before.
>
>   Oct 25 23:58:08 localhost dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 192.168.1.1 port 67
>   Oct 25 23:58:08 localhost dhclient: DHCPACK from 192.168.1.1
>   Oct 25 23:58:08 localhost dhclient: bound to 82.155.151.120 -- renewal in 30
> seconds.
>
> Is this behaviour normal?  If so, what could have changed?  My ADSL
> internet connection appears to be functioning normally.  How can I
> configure dhclient or syslog not to record this level of information?
>
> Yours with very little clue about DHCP and leases,

No, this is not normal.  Lease times are generally set by the DHCP
server as I understand it.  However, you may want to check
/etc/dhclient.conf to be sure something isn't in there.  Mine is
completely commented out and that is the default since I never modified
the file.You might want the move /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.leases to some
other location as dhclient will cache leases to this file per the man
page.  It could be picking up erroneous information from it.

I just looked at my logs and I have a DHCPREQUEST entry several times
and repeated at non-obvious intervals.  I'm going to wath the box with
Ethereal and see what's going on.  Maybe there is a buggy dhcpclient on
the loose?

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of