Re: Postgres question

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 06:25:52PM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> The 7.2 and 7,4 directories contain conf files, libraries and binaries
> that appear like they belong to postgres.  The stuff under preserve is
> obviously a backup from when I upgraded from Woody to Sarge.  My
> question is, how do I get rid of the extra stuff?  The dumpall and
> preserve subdirectories take up more than half of the space in
> /var/lib/postgres.

I don't have those dirs on my system and I do have postgres installed.

$ sudo find /var/lib/postgres/ -type d
/var/lib/postgres/
/var/lib/postgres/data
/var/lib/postgres/data/base
/var/lib/postgres/data/base/1
/var/lib/postgres/data/base/17141
/var/lib/postgres/data/base/97564
/var/lib/postgres/data/base/98066
/var/lib/postgres/data/base/107641
/var/lib/postgres/data/global
/var/lib/postgres/data/pg_clog
/var/lib/postgres/data/pg_xlog

I would guess you can delete those subdirectories you mention.  Well,
first save them somewhere of course.  An

apt-file search /var/lib/postgres/dumpall

and

apt-file search /var/lib/postgres/preserve

didn't return any results.

Reading /usr/share/doc/postgresql/README.Debian.migration.gz and
scanning the files that come up in:

grep -r "/var/lib/postgres/dumpall" /usr/lib/postgresql/

suggests that this dumpall directory is only used for upgrades.  If
the upgrade to a next postgres version has succeeded, it can be
removed.  Do sacrifice a cd for a backup of course. :)

Public GnuPG key:  http://maurits.vanrees.org/var/gpgkey.asc
"It can seem like you're doing just fine,
but the creep's creeping into your mind." - Neal Morse