broken locales

Hi!

(Same problem, other context. Hope somebody can help me...)

I have debian sarge and I had to interrupt the boot setup in order to
install some packages by hand with
'dpkg /i ..'
Now, whenever I start an application or I type 'locale', I get the
following error-messages:
---
  locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or
directory
---
When I type 'apt-get install locales', I get:
---
  locales: Depends: glibc-2.3.2.ds1-22
  E: Broken packages
---
When I type 'apt-get -f install glibc-2.3.2.ds1-22', I get:
---
  Note, selecting libc6 instead of glibc-2.3.2.ds1-22
  libc6 is already the newest version
---
A look at the debian homepage shows that glibc-2.3.2.ds1-22 is a virtual
package, consisting out of 'libc6' and 'libc6.1'.
When I try to install 'libc6.1', I get:
---
   Libc6.1 is not availible but is refered by another package.
   This may mean, that the package is missing, has been obsolete, or is
only available from another source. However, the
   following packae replace it:
   libdb2 initscripts libdb1-compat
   E: Package libc6.1 has no installation candidate
---

Can anybody give me a hint, how to solve that problem?
(besides reinstalling the system from a set of ISO-Images..)

Greetings,
Marcus