Printer read errors

Out of the blue, my printer (HP OfficeJet G85) stopped working. It was
working fine last week, but today when I powered it up and sent some
print jobs, the printer LCD showed Printing..., the printer printed a
line or two, and then hung. The following was spewing from the log file:

  Oct 25 13:27:50 olgas kernel: drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: nonzero read/write bulk status received: -84
  Oct 25 13:27:50 olgas kernel: drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: error -84 reading from printer

Would you suspect my laptop, the cable, or the printer? I use CUPS and
hpoj and Debian etch.