correct way to customize debian package

Hi,

I'm using the debian packages of Amanda (backup software), which has been
working great.  Unfortunately, I need to compile amanda w/ some custom ports
set, but I would like to continue doing it the "debian way."  Should I be
apt-get'ing the source and then is there a convenient way to build the software
into a deb package (just adding that one tweak to the ./configure script?)
Could someone point me to the correct documentation or a brief HOWTO or
something?

Thanks
Cameron Matheson