Re: Do I need to reinstall the whole system?

Le Mardi 25 Octobre 2005 02:43, Bill Marcum a écrit :
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 10:28:12PM +0200, Philippe Grenard wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > well, last time I did a dist-upgrade , the system hanged, and even the
> > "magic keys" didn't answered, so I had to reboot the system.
> >
> > After that, there was one package that i couldn't upgrade, nor install,
> > nor uninstall. (xserver-xorg to be precise)
> >
> > So after somme googling, I tried to edit
> > /var/lib/dpkg/status
> > /var/lib/aptitude/pkgstates
> > and remove the entries of xserver-xorg
> > I also removed /var/lib/dpkg/info/xserver-xorg.* (preinst, postinst,
> > prerm, postrm, and so on)
> >
> > but the system still won't install the package. It always failed during
> > the preinst script it seems :
>
> You could try going back to an earlier version of xserver-xorg (you
> might need to find it at snapshot.debian.net, or it might still be in
> your cache); or, if the problem is the preinst script, you could try
> running it with sh -x, or insert "exit 0" as the second line of the
> script.

First of all, thanks for the reply!
In fact, I already tried something like this with the 1-7 version instead of
current 1-9 and also tried to put the "exit 0" line and/or the "set -x" in
preinst. But it didn't work : I mean it seems the package tried tu use it's
own "packaged" scripts : the fact is when I removed the
files /var/lib/dpkg/info/xserver-xorg.* , when running apt-get , aptitude or
dpkg -i xserver-xorg, the preinst/postinst/postrm/and_so_on scripts are not
reinstalled/copied in /var/lib/dpkg/info/

Any way thanks for the answer and excuse me for my approximate english...

Philippe