re: OOo2.0 space concern

300 MB of space would have been fine. However, before the install, I had over 10 (ten) GBs of space left on my 40 GB drive. Afterward, I was down to 1 (one) GB left; so, something went wrong somewhere. Is there a way to list files by filesize? A program, or command similar to "ls" that lists files, but sorts them in order of filesize? This way I could attempt to track what is causing this excessive usage of space. I believe the actual working install of OpenOffice.org is not, in and of itself, the culprit (I'm guessing that uninstalling it via synaptic would only free up a bit over 200 MB -- I'm basing this guess upon viewing the listed created debs in synaptic, and marking them for removal to see what synaptic would report). As always, all suggestion/comments appreciated.
--Mark

To sort files in the order of the size use
du --max-depth=1 -m / | sort -g

replace / with the corresponding directory. More information can be found in 'man du', 'man sort'

raju

Thanks for this suggestion. This space concern happened shortly after I installed OpenOffice.org 2.0, but that may be a co-incidence. I also turned on a usb storage device that a friend of mine gave to me (which had an old Windows file system on it.) I think something, for some reason, is repeating itself (a sort of loop) within my computer somewhere. Last night, nautilus reported that I had zero bytes (I had had eighteen, previously.) So, I eliminated various files and programs, freeing up 3.1 GB (I previously had not been able to read email due to space limitations.) This morning, once again, it reported zero bytes free. Rebooting did not change this. So again, I deleted some more stuff. Is there a way to check what processes are going on, so that perhaps I could kill whichever one is screwing up my computer? Also, an hour ago I entered the command "du --max-depth=1 -m/ | sort -g", and it's still pondering this.