Re: A simple MTA?

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 05:41:25PM +0300, Teemu Ikonen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a mail transfer agent for a typical workstation,
> laptop or simple server configuration, but so far I haven't found a
> suitable one either in Debian or elsewhere. The ones I've checked are
> either too simple (nullmailer, ssmtp) or too complex (exim and
> everything else).
>
> I think what an average workstation user or (non-mail) server
> administrator wants from an MTA is following:
>
> 1. The MTA is not a daemon and does not receive mail from the network
>
> 2. Mail is sent to external addresses via an smtp relay
>
> 3. If the smtp host cannot be contacted, the mail is queued.
>    Retransmission is tried hourly by a cron-job or similar.
>
> 4. No local delivery of mail (mail sent to local accounts is either
>    discarded, or sent to the users external address found from a mail
> alias file)
>
>    And optionally
>
> 5. The mail to UIDs under 1000 (i.e. root) is also appended to a flat file
>    in /var/log or similar
>
> Does Debian have something which could be easily bent to follow these
> requirements, or do I have to write one myself?
>
> All the best,
>
> Teemu
>
> PS. I'm not on the list, so please send replies also to me, thanks.

Hi Teemu,

I'm not too sure if it would suit you, but masqmail does a good job for
me, epsecially for 3., it is run by /etc/ppp/ip-up on connection.
For receiving I use fetchmail which is also run at connection time.
It runs as a daemon, which is however configurable, after a quick look
at the man page.

Hth,
--
Andreas Rippl -- GPG messages preferred