Re: What to do with all the doc files in /usr/share/doc?

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 09:12:21PM -0700, Tony Godshall wrote:
> I just read with zless instead of less, and zgrep instead of
> grep, zcat instead of cat... there's no real benefit in
> having them unzipped.

You can put one of the following two commands in your login script
(e.g.  ~/.bash_profile):

         eval "$(lessfile)"

       or

         eval "$(lesspipe)"

Then you can you just use less for reading zipped, tarred, .deb and
various other files.  See 'man lessfile'.  It's part of the less
package.  It doesn't affect cat and grep.

Public GnuPG key:  http://maurits.vanrees.org/var/gpgkey.asc
"It can seem like you're doing just fine,
but the creep's creeping into your mind." - Neal Morse