Making X handle an IBM Scrollpoint Pro optical mouse

Howdy,

I have an iBook2 and an IBM Scrollpoint Pro optical mouse.  I'd like
to use the pointing stick in X, but I can't figure out how to do so.
I've verified that it generates output on /dev/input/mice when I move
the stick, but when I move the stick in X, I don't see anything happen
(i.e., the cursor doesn't move and the foreground window doesn't
scroll).  Here's the relevant portion of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:

 Section "InputDevice"
 	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
 	Driver		"mouse"
 	Option		"CorePointer"
 	Option		"Device"	"/dev/input/mice"
 	Option		"Protocol"	"IMPS/2"
 	Option		"Buttons"	"11"
 	Option		"ZAxisMapping"	"4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11"
 EndSection

Has anyone had better luck?  Does anyone see what the cause of the
failure could be?

--
Matt