Re: CUPS- HP JetDirect 170x

On 10/24/05, disciple@exis.net <disciple@exis.net> wrote:
> Trying to print to HP LaserJet 1300 via HP JetDirect 170x
>
> I go to http://localhost:631/admin
> then:
>
> 1. Click on add printer and put in Name, Location, Description
>
> 2. It then asks for "Device".  I choose AppSocket/HP Jetdirect
> Is this correct?
>
> 3. It then asks for "Device URI".  I have no clue as to what to put in
> here.  We use IP based printing for our XP machines.  The JetDirect box
> has an IP address of 192.168.0.50.  XP machines print to it just fine.
> The box shows the word "socket".  It also lists these examples:
>
> file:/path/to/filename.prn
>     http://hostname:631/ipp/
>     http://hostname:631/ipp/port1
>     ipp://hostname/ipp/
>     ipp://hostname/ipp/port1
>     lpd://hostname/queue
>     socket://hostname
>     socket://hostname:9100
>
> What do I put for hostname?  I printed the test page from the JetDirect,
> and it has a "Host Name".  Should I enter the "Host Name" of the
> JetDirect?
>
> 4. I then asks for Model/Driver.  I choose HP for Make.  I'm then given 3
> choices for Model:
>
> HP DeskJet Series CUPS v1.1 (en)
> HP LaserJet Series CUPS v1.1 (en)
> HP New DeskJet Series CUPS v1.1 (en)
>
> My driver does not seem to show.  How do I install the driver?  I've been
> choosing the 2nd option.
>
> Thanks for the help.

Hi,
I would highly suggest that you visit http://www.linuxprinting.org.
This website is an invaluable resource for almost anything related to
printing on GNU/Linux. It has a step-by-step procedure for configuring
CUPS as your printing system, and it also has a driver database for
lots of printers.

Hope this helps,
Malcolm
mlalkaka@gmail.com