Re: IDE hdd faster than sata? How come?

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 18:25 -0200, Bruno Buys wrote:
> How good is hdparm benchmark for sata? What am I missing here?
>

> frank:/home/bruno# hdparm -Tt /dev/sda
>
> /dev/sda:
>  Timing cached reads:   2368 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1183.00 MB/sec
>  Timing buffered disk reads:  170 MB in  3.01 seconds =  56.56 MB/sec
>

> frank:/home/bruno# hdparm -Tt /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
>  Timing cached reads:   2352 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1176.18 MB/sec
>  Timing buffered disk reads:  180 MB in  3.03 seconds =  59.47 MB/sec
>

> IDE disk is SAMSUNG SP0802N, FwRev=TK200-04. 80GB. udma5.
> Sata is SAMSUNG SP0812C SATA 80GB.
>

> The only thing I found was in samsung website "The drive comes defaulted
> to udma100. To enable udma133 refer to www.samsung.com.br". So far,
> www.samsung.com.br gives me nothing.
>
> Does anybody have a clue?

Was it a quiet system, with nothing else running at that moment?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty: power is ever
stealing from the many to the few. The manna of popular liberty
must be gathered each day, or it is rotten... The hand entrusted
with power becomes, either from human depravity or esprit de
corps, the necessary enemy of the people. Only by continual
oversight can the democrat in office be prevented from hardening
into a despot: only by unintermitted agitation can a people be
kept sufficiently awake to principle not to let liberty be
smothered in material prosperity... Never look, for an age when
the people can be quiet and safe. At such times despotism, like
a shrouding mist, steals over the mirror of Freedom"
Wendell Phillips