Re: Re: How to make boot CD to run your curent hard disk installed linux?

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 11:57:47PM -0500, Ramasubramanian Ramesh wrote:
Hi,

I have installed stable release of debian (using the netinst CD) on a headless machine (no kb, mouse or monitor) . The machine also does not have a floppy drive. I like to make a bood cd of the installed kernel so that I can bypass the grub boot. Specifically the grub setup boots win XP by default and I need to have something that can boot linux on demand. (Note that without KB and monitor I am blind to grub interaction an cannot ask it to boot the non default selection which is linux)

Why would you install two operating systems on a machine where you cannot choose the OS at boot time?

--
Nothing will dispel enthusiasm like a small admission fee.
		-- Kim Hubbard

This is my HTPC and going to sit next to my stereo system (it has a HD tuner card and all the intersting win MCE like stuff). However, it will be the backup firewall should my main firewall linux machine fail. Thus I want the linux side to exist and upto date. The upto date part requires periodic boot into linux and I do not want to physically move the machine each time next to a monitor keyboard and go through all the connectivity just to do that. Also each time I upgrade windows I want a quick way of booting into installed linux and just do "grub-install" to restore the mutiboot. If you have a better suggestion, let me know.

Most important of all, I have been saved several time by this type of floppy whenever I screw up my lilo run or want to swap /dev/hda when linux is in /dev/hdb.

Regards
Ramesh