Re: Ready to join the club..

Greg wrote:
> I'm a noob to Debian but I'm ready to install Debian to my current
> machine.  (PIII, 512MB Ram, 2 HDs; 60 MB - main and 80 MB secondary).
> The first HD contains WinME (don't laugh) and the second will contain
> Debian in one partition and Windows files (mp3s, JPEGs) in the other.
> I've already partitioned the second HD and burned the installation
> image files onto CDs.  My question is this, I want to use a boot loader
> that will load either WinME or Debian.  Grub seems like the default
> boot loader per the installation docs I've read.  During installation,
> will Grub be smart enough to see WinMe on the other drive and will
> itput the boot loader file on the main drive, the one that holds WinME?
>
> I've sorted for this topic what wasn't able to find information on my
> setup.

Don't be afraid to try it. Do it. Of course first do a backup of your
info in winME. Then, put your CD, reboot from CD and follow the show.
Maybe you should let the installer do the partition for you and let it
take all the free espace on /dev/hdb (that is the name of your second
hard disk in linux) In case that the installer couldn't configure grub
correctly, you should put something like this in your
/boot/grub/menu.lst, after the new debian system is running:

title           Windows 2000
root            (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader     +1

with this I can dual boot my debian sarge and my almost never used win2k.

> Thank you in advance,
>
> Greg

Miguel