make-kpkg and small changes

I am attempting to recompile a driver (8139too) with one additional
entry in the pci_device_id table.  I may modify it in other ways if
that doesn't work.

When I try to make-kpkg kernel_image the file is not rebuilt.  I tried
deleting the .o; this just produces an error of a missing file during
the make.

There was a long thread about this earlier (dealing with a harder
problem of changing the config) but I could divine no answer to the
problem.  Another post on Oct 7 asked a similar question without
response.

The thing that looked closest to a response was the suggestion to run
make and then make-kpkg.  Since I am applying patches, and make will
not, this seems hazardous in this case.

Please, there must be a way.  What is it?

How extensive are the changes caused by such a change?  Is it
sufficient just to copy over the .o file?  That + depmod?  Do I need
to rebuild everything because offsets have changed?  I don't have a
good sense of how brittle the setup of the kernel, modules and support
files (e.g., created by depmod) is against various changes, though I
hope the kind I've made has no effects.

If I install the new .deb so created over my running system, will it
cause trouble?

I suppose this is why the advice is just to make clean, and rebuild,
which I am now doing.  I'd like to find a better way.

Background:
My original build was with these commands
$ export MODULE_LOC=/usr/local/src/kernel/modules
$ export PATCH_THE_KERNEL=AUTO
$ PATCHES="evms-dm-snapshot,evms-dm-bbr,debianlogo"
$ date; time make-kpkg --revision rb.4 --append-to-version advncdfs --rootcmd fakeroot --added-patches $PATCHES kernel_image modules_image; date

My first attempt after revising the code was
$ date; time make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot --added-patches $PATCHES kernel_image; date
which produced the complaint
The changelog says we are creating 2.4.27advncdfs, but I thought the
version is 2.4.27

So I did
$ date; time make-kpkg --revision rb.4 --append-to-version advncdfs
--rootcmd fakeroot --added-patches $PATCHES kernel_image; date

I mention this mostly because there was some suggestion that omitting
either --revision or --append-to-version could confuse things, and I
wonder if that is the case for me.