Re: puTTY and debian

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 09:18:08AM -0400, deb@cercy.net wrote:
[...]
} Thanks for the tips, I totally overlooked the log level in the sshd file.
} When I looked at the putty log, it just says the authentication fails,
} each time you enter a passwd. The debian sshd logs didn't help a lot, just
} one line at the begining saying "no match". But exactly whats not matching
} isn't very obvious to me. However by random changing of the puTTY options,
} I found settings that work: using ssh protocol version 2 (it defaults to
} 1) and I check an option saying "Enable legacy use of single-DES in ssh2".
} I had tried various options over the last couple of days, but I lucked
} into the right ones this morning.

You should definitely be using SSH2. It sounds like you must be using a
seriously old version of PuTTY if it defaults to SSH1. What version is it?
I recommend getting the latest version.

} But isn't DES the least of the encryption schemes? I'd like my server to
} use the one thats the hardest to crack. Ssh is such a massively important
} protocol its amazing how little know about it.

Single DES is very easy to crack. I can't imagine why you would need to
select single DES. I'm surprised Debian's ssh even allowed it as an
encryption protocol. I suspect that this, too, is due to the age of your
PuTTY install.

} Below is an example of the failed login without the options above:
[...]
} Thanks again.
--Greg