From: Kostas Magkos <kmag@lab.epmhs.gr>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: starting eth without IP address
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:00:56 +0300

Hi list,

I have a sarge system with two NICs. I want to start eth1 without an IP address and with no ARP running, so as to use it just for sniffing. I can't figure out how do that.

Nothing I tried putting in /etc/network/interfaces works. The net startup script always complains about missing configuration and of course eth1 isn't started. As a temporary solution I added a 'ifconfig eth1 up' line in /etc/init.d/networking but I really don't like this approach. I don't think that it's even the right thing to do cause of upgrade issues.

Is there a more elegant solution? What is the debian way?

Any help much appreciated,
thanx in advance!

~
kmag