Re: flexible restore/install system

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:34:34 -0500, Ryan Nowakowski wrote:

> As said, this is not the fastest restore method but with regards to
> reinstalling a server it might be pretty quick and versatile.
>
> 1. Is this doable? Any things i'm overlooking/comments/...
> 2. What would be an easy way to making such custom packages be it for
> installing config files or fake packages used to install your favourite
> apps?

There are folks who have been thinking about this problem for a lot
longer than you or me.  Check out http://infrastructures.org for the
concepts and ISConf[1] for the software.

1. http://trac.t7a.org/isconf

Hi, Ryan, very interesting site. Wish I had know it earlier.

Just that there is not much said on the web. Can you give more links?
Because skimming through it, I get a feeling that we are talking about
apple and banners here. The OP's goal is a flexible restore/install
system, but I think the site talks about a monster organization wide
distributed cloning system.

,-----

`-----