Re: shorewall post-int hangs on sarge

On 18 Oct 2005 13:36:18 -0700
"Colin Ingram" <synergymus@gmail.com> wrote:

> I use sarge and when I recently tried to install the most recent
> update to shorewall( v2.2.3-2) my system hangs when trying to
> configure shorewall. ps shows the postins script zombified.
>
> colin@Alfalfa:~$ ps axfw
>   PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
>
>  7905 ?        Ss     0:00  \_ sshd: colin [priv]
>  7907 ?        S      0:00  |   \_ sshd: colin@pts/0
>  7908 pts/0    Ss     0:00  |       \_ -bash
>  7914 pts/0    S+     0:01  |           \_ aptitude
>  7971 pts/0    S+     0:00  |               \_ /usr/bin/dpkg
> --configure shorewall
>  7972 pts/0    S+     0:00  |                   \_ /usr/bin/perl -w
> /usr/share/debconf/frontend /var/lib/dpkg/info/shorewall.postins
>  7982 pts/0    Z+     0:00  |                       \_
> [shorewall.posti] <defunct>
>

> I tried downgraded and the same thing occures.  Shorewall scripts seem
> to be working fine.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Should I
> submit a bug report?
>
> Colin

I had shorewall problems last night.  Not sure what caused it but it
was a combination of (custom compiled 2.6.12.6 kernel, vmware 5.0
networking, and /sbin/ifconfig).

Basically I'd start vmware (/etc/init.d/vmware start), that would load
the vmnet module.  After that everything seemed messed up so I
tried to restart my workstation.  Without fail the restart would hang
trying to stop shorewall.

Also /sbin/ifconfig would hang if vmnet module was loaded.  So I'm
guessing the problem wasn't shorewalls but instead shorewall was
calling a busted /sbin/ifdown or something like that.

I needed a workstation in the morning so I just installed a
stock debian kernel and vmware 5.5 beta.  That fixed everything.  Not
sure if the kernel or vmware was the culprit.

Anyhow I've had shorewall problems recently :).