Kernel 2.6 Problems

Hello,

I am having problems installing kernel 2.6 on my Dell Optiplex GX280.  I have
seen a lot of traffic on the web and the forums about this, but have not
found a full fix.

I am starting with a working 2.4 installation.  This required me to switch the
SATA mode in the bios from compatability to normal.

I have tried to install the  2.6 kernel image package, but it fails to boot.
It fails on a cannot access /dev/console kernel panic.  I understand that
this is due to the disks not being accessible.  I have seen reference to
changing the kernel arguments from "root=/dev/hda2" to "root=/dev/sda2"  .  I
have tried this with no success.

I have then tried to do an install from the netinstall 31r0a ISO.  Doing
either a "linux26" or an "expert26" it fails to find the CD drive after the
initial boot and language selections.

It is rather important that I am not left with an unbootable system - I need
to keep my working 2.4 system viable until I have a working alternative.

I am sure that there must be documentation on this problem somewhere.  Please
can someone point me at it.

Ta

Dave

--