Re: How to use old CPUs (Not Debian Specific)

On 14 Oct 05 18:03:52 GMT, Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Like I said, I don't have enough space in the new apartment to set up
> multiple computers, but I dislike having computing power going to waste.
>   Can anyone suggest a way to network/connect all four to possibly
> distribute the load among them?  I am considering building a custom case
> to hold all the MBs and only have a single monitor, mouse and keyboard
> connected.  The case would, obviously, have to be fairly large, but it
> could then act as a table, as well, so the space would still be more
> efficient than four seperate cases which serve no othere purpose.

The processing power of your two 486s is so pitiful compared to the
Athlon box its hardly worth the effort. I think you should take this
opportunity to finally retire these venerable machines. Of course make
sure you dispose of them responsibly through a reputable recycler who
won't just export them as toxic waste to some third-world country. If
you can find one...

The PII still has potential, my own server/gateway box is in the same
class. Another possibility is to install LTP on the Athlon and set up
the PII as a thin client to reduce competition with other members of
your household for the seat in front of the Athlon.

--
Frank Copeland
Home Page: <URL:http://thingy.apana.org.au/~fjc/>