Re: new users

Darren wrote:

Hello. I'm a new user of Debian and I'm looking to setup a file server on my network. I want the ability to access it like a ftp server from any pc on the net. My friend told me to setup an ssh server rather than ftp for security reasons and due to the fact I want to access it from an web browser. If you have any information to point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. I've got a Compaq Proliant ML320 Server with 2 36GB SCSI Hard Drives. I'm downloading the 31r0a ISO Image as I'm emailing you. Hopefully I will be able to install this package later on today. Thanks for your help.
Looking forward to setting this product up.
Darren King
Nova Scotia, Canada

ssh is a good idea, in fact. Install only debian base system, make sure the ssh service is running (you´ll be prompted for that config during install), and you are good to go. Lots of fine-tunning can be done afterwards, but debian will run well in this machine. Search for debian-administration web site. There´s a lot of good info about debian servers. Search for how to do a passwordless logins with ssh, and how to make it more secure.