Re: General linux question.

stephen horvath wrote:

Help,

I have used the Linux programs for quite a few weeks and have decided to use it for all of my personal computing needs.

I have used two distrubutions and have liked them both, one is Red Hat/Fedors and the other is Xandros.

I do have a question that I have not received an answer. What is the real difference in what is referred to as Red Hat based or Debian based?

I know their must be quite a difference between the two, but what is it?

Can anyone help?

Regards,

Steve Horvath

Since free software can be modified and redistributed, lots of people engage in rebuilding software, or rewriting it, to meet specific (or different) needs. The possibilities are endless, and you you can really see a pattern of branching that resembles those genealogic trees of living beings (if you are a biologist, like me). To say that a given distro is 'Debian based' is to say that it starts with Debian packaged software, but it tweaks/modifies/rewrites that software, ending in a new thing. The same for 'Red Hat based'. There has been a deal of controversy in this list regarding the relationship between Debian and their derivatives. You can learn a bit about it, try searching the archives for it.