Re: Bash commands

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 08:18 -0700, Freddy Freeloader wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I downloaded the Advanced Bash Scripting Guide the other day an have
> started to work my way through it.  I'm fairly new to bash so I get more
> than a little confused when the output I get is nothing similar to what
> the ABS Guide says it should be.
>
> Here is what has me confused at the moment.
>
> b=${a/23/BB}
>
> echo "b = $b"
>
> Now the ABS guide says that where I'm setting b it should be
> substituting BB for 23.  It also says that the output of 'echo "b - $b"'
> should be: b = BB35
>
> However, what I get as output is as follows:
>
> ffreeloader@Job:~$ echo "b = $b"
> b =

if a is unset then that is correct...

> total 520716
> drwxr-sr-x  2 ffreeloader ftp        48 2005-10-13 07:50 script
> -rw-r--r--  1 ffreeloader ftp 532692172 2005-10-12 09:38 server_2003.zip

this is a listing of your current directory...

> Now in my playing around this morning I've been using some command
> substitution from the bash prompt that included cd'ing into a directory
> that has the files in it that are listed above.  I assume that somehow
> setting $b to the value I set it to is calling the history command in
> the bash shell and that's how I'm getting this output.  However, I don't
> know why or how it works.

if you have not editted your .bash* files, re-login afresh and try
again. the preceeding para implies you may have (inadvertedly) done
something to, say, .bashrc so it executes something on certain
conditions and this is where the `ls` output is from.