dynamic linking of lib that uses other libs how?

I am trying to figure out if its possible to somehow insulate the user
of a library I wrote from the linking needs of the libraries my library
uses.  Here is the situation in detail:

mylib uses OpenGL, gtk, and gtkglext.

I would like to provide something like the pkg-config that comes with
gtk and gtkglext,
so that users of mylib can easily retrieve linking flags mylib needs,
without disturbing users ability to link with other libraries of their
choice.

At the moment I am using pkg-config for mylib, and accumulating the
linker flags required by libglgtk into variables that can be queried by
pkg-config, as gtkglext
does, but this does not seem to work the way I would like.

For example, trying to link myprog against mylib and a different version
of gtk than the one used by mylib leads to crashes related to mixing of
gtk functions from different versions.

Basically, my question is: what is the best way to package a dynamicly
linked C library for client consumption without causing trouble for the
clients?

Any advice or pointers to information greatly appreciated,
Britton

--
  Britton Kerin
  bkerin@fastmail.fm