Re: variants Re: Re: debian vs ubuntu and knoppix

Hi, Joey.

On Oct 12 2005, Joey Hess wrote:
> Rogério Brito wrote:
> > The Ubuntu people are synchronizing their work with Debian all the
> > time
>
> Ubuntu has a general policy of not sending patches back to Debian
> developers.

I didn't know that.

> They make their patches available on a website in lumps[1] of varying
> utility and expect Debian to go look at them and integrate them back
> in.

I also didn't know that. And seeing the base-config case, it is
surprising to see the huge patches that they made.

This would surely be a case where Linus Torvalds's policy of sending a
series of patches, each doing just a single thing and applied on the top
of the ones before it would be appropriate.

> This doesn't work as well as some other techniques could.

Indeed. How has been the communication between the projects?

> Most of the cases of Ubuntu patches being integrated back into Debian
> are cases where:
>
>   a. The Ubuntu developer is a maintainer of the Debian package.
>
>   b. A Debian developer has spare time to go look at patches that might
>      or might not be even applicable to Debian.

Seeing the number of changelog messages with ubuntu release names, I
thought that the interaction was bigger.

>   c. Possibly the utnubu (note spelling) project filtered a patch back
>      from Ubuntu to Debian.

I just visited the utnubu project and was surprised to know that it
actually happened, as it shouldn't even have existed in the first place.
It surely seems to be as a lack of proper contact between the projects.
:-( Sad thing, since a joint effort would have made things progress
faster.

> Actually Debian has had a tradition of NMUs for much longer than team
> maintenance.

But NMUs are/were (please, correct me if I am wrong here) viewed as a
last resort, for not "stepping in the maintainer's toes". And sometimes,
the maintainer doesn't give a signal of life for a long time. Say, more
than one year.

In this case, team maintainership would be much better. And I am happy
to see this more and more used in Debian.

> All you have to do is bring a real bug to another developer's
> attention.

The problem is that doing this isn't as easy as it sounds. Even if you
have a good, short, clear patch, getting another developer's attention
isn't that easy.

Or, at least, it wasn't the last times I tried. But, then, perhaps, I
contacted, the "wrong" developers. :-)

> (Which, it's worth noting, you were able to do with vrms. :-P)

Indeed. :-)

Thank you, Rogério Brito.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/