ati driver problem

I am new to linux so please forgive me for this noob question. I have installed the driver for my ati videocard I downloaded from ati.com but I still can't change the resolution of the screen to anything higher than 800*600 my friend has the same problem. How come that not even the newest versions of linux(debian, 64 bit ubuntu) doesn't have drivers included for the ati 9600 series.
Could anybody send me a step by step guide on how to install the drivers?
Thx in advance

--
Áron