Re: X under heavy load

Hiho,

I'm generating a map. So it has nothing to do with X. However does someone have a clue how to track this down?

Thanks
Marc

On Freitag, Okt 14, 2005, at 20:45 Europe/Berlin, Antonio Paiva wrote:

Marc,

I don't know exactly what you are using but I can tell you that I frequently do computationally demanding tasks in my work desktop and home laptop (both running Debian Sarge) and X continues working fine. While I'm waiting I frequently browse the web without major changes in speed. Maybe your program is "X intensive"...

Antonio

Marc Brünink wrote:
Hi,
if I put my 500 Mhz machine under heavy load, X doesn't respond anymore. Actually it works, but it's much to slow. I want to do some hard calculations in background AND use X. I guess this should be possible, shouldn't it? I tryed to use nice 20 heavy-load-process but this didn't help a bit. Is process scheduler of Linux just crap? Is this a problem of X? What should I try next?
Thanks
Marc

--
António Rafael C. Paiva

Graduate student
Computational NeuroEngineering Laboratory
Electrical & Computer Engineering Department
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL 32611
WWW: arpaiva.webhop.net