Re: debian vs ubuntu and knoppix

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| On (13/10/05 19:44), William Ballard wrote:
|
| To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
| From: William Ballard <nospam_50916@alltel.net>
| Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:44:26 -0400
| Subject: Re: debian vs ubuntu and knoppix
|
| On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 08:33:42PM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
| > Some people find the Ubuntu spin-off inappropriate (why didn't they just
| > donate to Debian and try to get a commitment on release cycles?), and
| > others have embraced it and are all fuzzy warm about it.  Whatever.
| >
| > Me?  I just kick back and enjoy the flamefests and trolling... if
| > there's one thing that never changes about the Net and Free Software,
| > it's that.  It's almost comforting to read a good flamefest these
| > days... the joys of my youth, so to speak.
|
| I like to stick to pure Debian.  You can't get "a little bit pregnant."
| The "it's like Debian, but with Extra-Added Foo!" distros, where Foo =
|
| "livecd" (Knoppix)
| "point-n-drool" (Lindows)
| "flavor-of-the-month-courtesy-of-your-rich-uncle-and-some-people-who-want-
| a-faster-release-cycle" (Ubunto)
|
| ...distributions, what's the point?  You're giving up Debian's "Sane Package Control,
| we don't care if anybody uses it but us developers" goodness for a brass ring.
|
| They *always* come back to Debian, because only the curmudeony wierd old it's good for
| developers is what your really want.  You can't mix the idea of Debian with a company
| and have it last, because you're abandoning the only thing that makes Debian worth a
| damn: by developers, for developers.

I am a developer. I the senior programming monkey at work.

I code on debian stable, debian unstable, solaris, freebsd, netbsd, and ubuntu.
Like anything, people have their tastes. As a developer, I value having choices
available to me that I can best choose which to apply for my needs/wants.

Ubuntu is just one option. It is kinda nice to have something that flat out
"just works". Though may switch my main laptop to freebsd 6 when it gets
released... we'll see.

Some people like Coke, some like Pepsi, some like flavoured water.. All a
matter of "taste", imo.

I think everyone should try each out and then decide what is best for them.
Most likely there will not be something that will fit everything, though
debian is pretty close [it is used on most my production and development
servers].

-Chris