Re: debian vs ubuntu and knoppix

Duncan Anderson wrote:

> I have to agree with John. Ubuntu can't be called "commercialized".
> It's free of charge and will always be free of charge, according to
> their website. "Popularized" may be a better word to use.

(From dictionary.com)

Commercial -
adj.
    1. a. Of or relating to commerce: a commercial loan; a commercial
attache'.
        b. Engaged in commerce: a commercial trucker.
        c. Involved in work that is intended for the mass market: a
commercial artist.
    2. Of, relating to, or being goods, often unrefined, produced and
distributed in large quantities for use by industry.
    3. Having profit as a chief aim: a commercial book, not a scholarly
tome.
    4. Sponsored by an advertiser or supported by advertising:
commercial television.

I think your contention is that Ubuntu doesn't meet the requirements for
definitions 3 or 4, but it certainly matches 1c and 2.

In other words, the use of the word "commercial" is probably most of the
problem here, in this particular specific discussion.

Nate