Re: Debian and Xp network problem

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 10:02 -0700, Dan wrote:
> The dhcp on the router is turned off.
>
> Here is my samba info:

The problem isn't with samba... not if you get timeouts with ping.

My best guess... probably way off base... would be that either:

1. The XP computers are using a different linespeed (100baseT vs
10baseT) or have different duplex settings than the Debian machine.
Most switches don't have a problem with this, but when you get one that
does the problems are often very wierd (like yours).

2. The driver configuration on the debian box is wrong in some way and
errors are occuring.  Perhaps observing the error counts in ifconfig
might lead you in the right direction.

3. You have problems with cabling, a bad port on the switch, or major
interference on the line.  This should manifest itself with errors in
ifconfig... but may not.  I once had computer that would (seemingly)
randomly lose connection to the network (all packets were error
packets)... turned out to be an old refridgerator kicking on and causing
interference on the line which ran in the basement directly under the
fridge.