Re: What to do with all the doc files in /usr/share/doc?

Jim Lynch <k4gvo@qsl.net> writes:

> For years now, I've been seeing the vast quantities of files in that
> directory and other than going in and zmoreing them, I haven't figured
> out how to read them.  By now I'm sure someone has developed a browser
> or other means of indexing them, searching them and displaying them.
> I just can't figure out what it is.

I am close to finishing an app that does just this, its a command line
app though, but will search and display a list of files from a supplied
package name....

Enter the name of a Debian package:
ion3
found 5 files for package ion3
/usr/share/doc/ion3/README.gz
/usr/share/doc/ion3/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/ion3/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/ion3/README.Debian
/usr/share/doc/ion3/copyright

you then just choose and read. I want to add some stuff like ncurses and
some other search path's like /usr/src for kernel stuff and maybe some
other files of interest like TODO or NEWS but its close to
being usable and your more than welcome to test it out for me when its done.

--
-----Angelina Carlton-----
orchid on irc.freenode.net