rpcinfo -p hangs during FAI

Not sure if this is the proper mailing list for this question. If there
is one that's more appropriate please let me know.

During an FAI installation of Sarge, whenever one of the *.postinst
packages in /var/lib/dpkg/info/ calls addgroup, addgroup calls rpcinfo
-p which hangs the process for about 10 minutes and eventually display
the following message:

rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote system error - Connection
timed out

I can switch to another virtual terminal and see all this via ps. I can
use rpcinfo on the client machine to check the server, and it reports
properly. Furthermore, I can use rpcinfo on the server to check the
client, and it reports that portmap is running properly. However, using
rpcinfo on the client to check itself simply hangs. My first guess would
be iptables or tcpwrappers blocking localhost access to the portmapper.
However iptables is completely open, and hosts.allow and hosts.deny
don't have any entries at all.

Anything else I should check?

Thanks,

Charith.

--
Charith Perera

Note:
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. Wang Trading LLC and any of its subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.