Re: hibernate/sleep howto

>     <snip>
>
> >     Depending on your kernel version, you may not have any luck using
> >     suspend. I never had luck, but I have not tried recently with the
> >     2.6.12 and 2.6.13 kernels.
> >
> >      From swsusp.txt in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/power:
> >     You need to append resume=/dev/your_swap_partition to kernel command
> >     line. Then you suspend by
> >
> >     echo shutdown > /sys/power/disk; echo disk > /sys/power/state
> >
>     Hi!
>
> AFAIK There are 3 versions of hibernation code. Two that are part of the
> official kernel and one that need a patch (suspend2). This latter is
> more advanced and should perform better but is being actively developed
> and changes frequently. The two versions included in the official 2.6.x
> kernel are Pavel's swsusp and Patrick Mochel's PM suspend. You have to
> check which one is compiled in your kernel. Each one has it's own
> starting command.

<snip>
> Did you reinstalled lilo after changing it?? Is your "resume=/dev/..."
> well written? It should work. There is however the possibility that your
> harddrive cache was not written to the disk Some drives have this kind
> of problem.. You can use hdparm to disable the cache before the suspend
> command and reenable if after.
>
> The hibernate script (hibernate package) handles these matters and
> others that arise when using suspension, like the error in the clock
> (after resuming, the system clock is at the time when it was suspended.
> You have to syncronise it with the hardware clock). It can be customized
> to the 3 versions of suspension code and to suspen-to-ram also.

<snip>
> Luís Neves

Uh Oh. I guess when it comes to things like this I am still a newbie
(just over a year of linux experience). I guess for someone new to the
Linux world, like me, the answer to my question was NO, You can't do
it. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I guess I need to
read and learn a lot more before applying the suggestions mentioned
here. thanks
ganesh