Re: Dual booting -- Adding windows to a Linux system

On 10/10/05, Roy Pluschke <rjplus@shaw.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 09:02 +0000, Florian Dorpmueller wrote:
> > >But one thing that I'm not sure and not really know, will windows work OK
> > >if it installed not on the first partition of the disk ?
> > >Even I believe this will work, but better be carefull.
> > >
> > >--w.h--
> > >

> > Possible but not simple. E.g. you must manually set the drive and Advanced
> > RISC Computing (ARC) path settings in Target Designer. Furthermore boot.ini
> > settings, and drive letter issues have to be adopted.
> >
> > But this is not a windows-ML. Isn´t it?
> >
> > Florian
> >

> Thank you for your responses -- I've decided the simplest solution for
> me is to backup up my data, reformat and install windows first -- a bit
> of a pain but easiest for me to comprehend.
>
> Roy P.

Hi Roy,

You are right, it would be much easier to install Win2k/XP first and
then Linux. Mind you, while making partitions during win install if
you go for NTFS for your win you would need one FAT32 partition in
order to exchange files between two OSs. You also need to leave some
space without partitioning at all - this will be taken by Linux then.

Cheers,
Yuriy