Re: SSH attack

Alvin Oga wrote:
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Marty wrote:

> simple test ... > ( use your positive or negative logic equivalents for these files ) > > /etc/hosts.deny
> 	ALL : ALL

I'm not sure that will work with the manpage example I gave.

works for me ... no services coming in that is not supposed to

I meant sending the email alert as described in the manpage.

> you'll find that you will need to have
> > /etc/hosts.allow
> 	sshd : 192.168.123.456
> > restart the inetd or sshd as needed

Don't forget to add your ssh entry in /etc/inetd.conf.

everything is turned off, sshd is NOT listed in inetd.conf or xinetd.conf
whichever one is being used .. and similarly for the [x]inetd daemon
itself
	- sshd does its own magic based on the allow/deny entries

I had forgotten about that.  It really got me the first time I tried
to run ssh, and it doesn't seem to be well documented anywhere.
Still it seems better to start ssh from (x)inetd for security reasons.

--------

grep whatever you like from the gazillion log files for ssh this and ssh
that

I don't know what you're getting at here.   The idea is to get a realtime email alert.

c ya
alvin