RE: shared Debian hosting

Well I do know for a fact as a user they (  http://www.activewebhosting.com ) do not support CVS repositories - cvs or svn is not even installed on there server - or direct ssh access currently, although it does support everything else you listed (and more, they even support guile via cgi)and the lack of SSH and CVS/SVN support may change in the future depending on actual interest. If enough people contact them about it, it may be possible to change there mind.

Most companies do not like giving out shell accounts due to MS FUD, unfortunately. But if you want a linux only webhosting plan, check out the above link and as them for the "linux only plan" to show your support for linux since its not something they advertise openly. I hope that I helped.

 - D
Debian user list:

dking@pimpsoft.com wrote:
> You may want to check out http://www.Activewebhosting.com as they do
> very good debian based web hosting. I use them for all my sites/
> projects and I have not yet had any problems, plus the customer
> service is top notch.

Thanks for the tip.  I looked at their site, but didn't seem very much in the
way of technical specifications.  I'm looking for a fairly hard-core hosting
plan -- ssh access, CVS, full Perl/ CGI/ MySQL production environment, etc..  It
would be nice if I could get this in a shared plan, but realistically I'll
probably have to go to a VPS, rented server, or collocation.

I cross-posted to the Debian user list because I'm curious if the Debian project
and/or community has concerns over the use of the "Debian" name -- e.g.
debianhosting.com, etc..

David