Re: 2.6.12 and 2.6.13 won't access cdrom

On 10 Oct 2005, Antony Gelberg wrote:
> Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > Kernel versions 2.6.12 and 2.6.13 are causimg serious problems here.
> >
> > 2.6.13 won't access /cdrom and 2.6.12 segfaults when I try this. It is
> > then impossible to log out normally and I have to pull the plug on the
> > computer!
> >
> > I have an older (non-Debian) version of 2.6.12 which does work, for some
> > reason.
> >
> > I'd like to revert to 2.6.11 or 2.6.10 but image files for this don't
> > appear to be available for Debian now.
> >
> > I tried to compile a vanilla kernel but the compile fails (something to
> > do with gcc ???).
> >
> > What to do now? Is there somewhere I can get earlier kernel images to
> > try?
>
> What version of Debian are you running?  Where do the 2.6.12 and 2.6.13
> come from?  Who built them?

I'm running Sid. The kernels I have are both linux-image, i.e. the
standard Linux images as obtained from the Debian mirror.

I've tried compiling vanilla kernels but for some reason they fail to do
so, both on my desktop and my laptop.  This a new development; they
always used to compile in the past without problems. There was a large
update on Sid a couple of days ago; perhaps this broke things?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian