Re: Debian Compatable UPS?

hi ya hmh

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> On Sat, 08 Oct 2005, Alvin Oga wrote:
> > and whether you agree or not is irrelevant to the original
> > question of which one is debianize ..
>
> Parse error.

segfault :-)

> > the answer is all ups will work if you have the magic wand ( skills )
>
> This is incomplete.  You also need magic powder (time and other resources),
> which are often not of trivial cost.  So this answer is at best useless.

like all things ...
	- some folks can do it in 5 min ... some takes 5 hrs
	- knowing which screws to turn will costs $100/hr as the saying
	goes (the home car mechanic vs certified(nutcases) at the dealers)

> His claim is right, batteries will last at most three years (do not expect
> to get one that will last that much with any consumer or prosumer grade
> UPS).  UPS units can, and often last up to ten years (but not consumer grade
> ones).

some of my el cheapo consumer stuff is still working after 8hrs ...
	- been tested about a month ago with an unexpected 5minute power
	outage

expensive doesn't mean better
cheaper can also mean pieces of scrap metal too

> > how much is your server worth to you when the power is out
>
> Actually, how much is the load (server and whatever else is there) worth.

and if the power is out ... what about all the other infastructure
 	- local telco, the isp
	- the neighborhood, city, state ...

good ups can be good for brownout protection ...

ups might not help you too much if the power is out for 30min or
3hrs or 3 days ..

- if the machines is shutdown by the ups,
	- who/what is gonna go turn it back on later ..
	- how do you know its safe to come back online
	- did the machine have enough time to shutdown properly or did
	  it die cause it waited too long
	- endless list..

> An UPS can easily destroy the load in certan failure modes, and it does not

those are the socalled "bad ups"

> You will need power-utility-level surge supressors on the building primary
> power distribution to survive a direct lightning hit of 40kV or more on the
> wires.

most folks do not have that ... on the house or office buildings ...

> The UPS cannot provide that,

some ups claim to be able to protect your equipment against lightening
strikes ...
	- the folks in the mid-west and mid-atlantic gets to test
	their PCs and ups on a regular basis

> but it CAN provide enough surge suppresion to
> protect the load and its control channel from surges induced by the lightning
> EM-field in the internal wiring.

for surge protection ... a good $10 surge protector works just as good

> Alvin recommends not getting APC.  I recommend not getting any unit below
> 1kVA from any manufacturer, and staying away from anything APC below a APC
> SmartUPS XL.  Certainly stay away from APC BackUPS, I have seen unnaceptable
> failure modes described in some web forums (or if you get one, replace the
> entire unit every two and a half years).

:-)

> Actually, I suggest trying MGE UPSes, they are DFSG-friendly to the point of
> supporting the development of DFSG UPS-monitor software (nut), and I could
> not find a single complaint against their hardware through google... hmm, I
> wonder if they have a Brazilian distributor already.  DISCLAIMER: I have
> never owned or tested a MGE UPS.

worked ( pulsar series ) fine for me ..

and so has many other under $100 ups .. ( whatever happens to be on
"good" sale price )

and for good high end ups .. powerware/lieberts are better

in 90% of the cases, i'd avoid the $200 - $1500 ups market
if it's my pesonal nickel to spend
	- for $1000 ... i can have 2-3 identical complete systems
		( $80 mb, $80 cpu, $40 disks, ... to protect data )

	- or dozens of disks of the same data to protect data
	vs protecting the PC during brownouts and power failures

	- disks should be owered off and disconnected from the
	outlets

c ya
alvin