sound, and floppies

Hello. I work in a shelter, and we obtained a donated computer which I set up. The computer is a Pentium II, 350 MHz, with 192 mb ram. It has the default install, with kernel-image-2.4.27-2-386 (and headers), alsa-modules-2.4.27-2.386, and the default gnome desktop. Shisen-sho, mahjongg, and supertux are a hit. However, there are some problems.

I cannot get sound working properly. Upon booting, it indicates that alsa is started, but "(not loaded)". Sound works in gnome applications like gnometris, and on the internet, and other games, but when I load a kde program (guarddog, or kolf) I get an error message indicating that the sound server is pissed off, and is using the null output device (or something) instead. Then, sound works in nothing. After running alsaconf, I get sound working in the net, and working in games which are not associated with either kde or gnome (in those games, the sound does not work at this point, however). What's up with this? Shouldn't sound work in all the programs? (my co-workers all suggested to me that Windows 98 would be better, but I insisted on Debian. This does not strengthen my case).

Floppies are difficult to mount. Only a few can be mounted in the Debian computer. All of them were successfully read in the Windows computer at work. Any hints? All responses appreciated.

Sincerely,
Mark Grieveson