Re: Should users have to manually modprobe to use standard peripherals?

On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 09:53:42AM +0000, Stephen Patterson wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 06:40:07 +0200, Carl Fink wrote:
> > Twice this week, I've had to become superuser and install kernel modules
> > manually to make standard peripherals work.  This seems broken to me.
>
> If you always want the module loaded, add its name to /etc/modules, then it'll
> automagically get loaded on bootup.  Hotplug's also meant to be able to find
> modules as needed.

I know.  I'm not talking about me, I'm talking about "naive users".  In any
case, making people do unnecessary work is bad in general.
--
Carl Fink                                         carl@fink.to
If you attempt to fix something that isn't broken, it will be.