Re: operate system without keyboard

Hendrik Boom wrote:

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 09:31:28AM +0200, steef wrote:
hja wrote:

i am running debian 'testing' on a desktop. i would like to be able to
operate the system without a hardware keyboard but instead use a mouse
and on-screen keyboard. i started with removing the section on 'keyboard
input device' from XF86Config-4 but lost the gui on boot-up.
i am sure a system can run without hw keyboard, as in a server.
would appreciate some help on this.

thks
kangja

my machine boot-up hangs when i unplug the keybooard.
you had better do an install from 'scrap': choose yourself install some basic packages and *not* xserver-xfree86 [and x-window-system??] to get rid of your mouse,

Indeed, some machines won't even get to the point where they read
the master boot record if they don't have a keyboard.  I've been told
it is a BIOS problem.  If your BIOS is sufficiently enlightened, it
may have a option to allow boot without a keyboard or a monitor.

-- hendrik

That's the "Halt on" BIOS option, usually in the first screen. You may have the values "No errors", or "Keyboard", "Monitor, Keyboard", etc. If you set to "No errors" the boot will go on even without the keyboard. This is necessary if you plan to build a file server or a zombie gateway, to control it exclusively through ssh. If the mobo is atx you can even turn it on and off via ssh.